Effective October 1st, 2022, the Township of Montague will be responsible for septic services for properties located within its jurisdiction. The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit will continue to oversee applications submitted prior to that date.
|SEWAGE SYSTEM PERMIT - For private sewage systems with flows up to 10,000 litres/day (See Note #1 below)||$721.00||N/A||$721.00|
|TERTIARY SEWAGE SYSTEM PERMIT (See Note #2 below)||$798.00||N/A||$798.00|
|PERMIT RENEWAL/REVISION - With Site Inspection||$206.00||N/A||$206.00|
|PERMIT RENEWAL/REVISION - Without Site Inspection||$62.00||N/A||$62.00|
|THIRD PARTY CERTIFICATES||$62.00||N/A||$62.00|
|SITE INSPECTIONS - Septic Tank Replacement Only, Alterations, Class 2 & 3 Sewage Systems||$360.00||N/A||$360.00|
|MAINTENANCE INSPECTIONS - Minor Variances, Zoning By-laws, Building Renovations, Septic Re-Inspections||$206.00||N/A||$206.00|
|SEVERANCE APPLICATION - If an inspection is required||$443.00||N/A||$443.00|
|* MULTIPLE SEVERANCES - When more than one application is submitted pertaining to a particular landholding, the fee is $180.00 for each additional application, if submitted at the same time.|
|SUBDIVISION PLAN REVIEW - Non-communal Sewage Systems||$200.00/lot up to a maximum fee of $5,000.00||+ 13% HST|
These fees include the cost of legal services, review of studies, consultant services, administration, education, and promotional activities.
Note #1: The Ministry of the Environment will be responsible for sewage works where the design capacity is in excess of 10,000 litres/day under the Ontario Water Resources Act.
Note #2: Tertiary Treatment Systems (Level 4 Treatment) are Ecoflo, Eljen, Waterloo Biofilter, ATL, EnviroSeptic, Norweco, and Biomicrobics and require Maintenance Agreements upon installation completion.
- Cheque (payable to Township of Montague)
- We do not accept credit cards
Applications and Forms:
The following forms are available for you to complete and submit to the Township Office, along with the applicable fees:
- Application for a Sewage System Maintenance Inspection (commonly used for minor variance and zoning inspections, or prior to sale/purchase of a property with a sewage system)
- Application for Permit to Construct or Demolish (Sewage System and/or Site Inspection application for new or replacement sewage system)
- Fee Schedule
- File Search (for records dating back to 1972)
- Holding Tanks – Pump-out Agreement-Owner’s Undertaking (These are required to be arranged to ensure a holding tank can get pump-out servicing)
- Transfer of Sewage System to New Owner (This form is used when the owners name has changed)
- Information on wells is stored by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change. You can access it through their website if your well information was submitted.
- Well Record Verification (This is to confirm location and casing depth of an existing well)
- Authorization for an Application for a Sewage System Permit by a Person Other Than The Legal Owner (This form is required if a third party other than the owner is applying for the permit i.e. sewage installer, engineer or agent)
- As Constructed Plan and Backfill Notification Form
- Filter Sand Affidavit
- Septic Stone Affidavit
Address: Township of Montague, 6457 Roger Stevens Drive, P. O. Box 755, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4W6
Hours: Monday through Friday from 9:00am until 4:30pm (excluding statutory holidays)
Phone: 613-283-7478 x 260